Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The most overrated albums of all time

"a work of extraordinary emotional depth from a former Beach Boy wrestling with alcohol problems."

He's only a "former" Beach Boy by virtue of being dead, right? I mean, did he leave the Beach Boys during his lifetime?  Certainly not prior to the recording of "Pacific Ocean Blue"

I was glad to see Pearl Jam on the list. I'd like to nominate everything grunge ever done. Not only did grunge derail hair metal, technical guitar playing, and even mainstream hard rock bands like Guns and Roses and Van Halen, it did huge damage to pop music, and lyric writing in general. For years all nearly all pop songs contained vague lyrics about how fucking distressed I am.  Girlfriends, grandparents, nieces, nephews, neighbors, barbers, bakers, bankers and pharmacists... the entire human family disappeared from songs, the only subject left was me and my tortured, inarticulate soul.

Rock music as a whole was pulverized in Olympia, and didn't really come back until around 1997.  The damage started with punk rock (I took part in that particular assault on quality and taste) - so there wasn't really much good music from 1982 on for the next 15 years. Pretty depressing.

It should be no surprise that McCready was channeling KISS - to me Nirvana and ilk always seemed like the 2nd coming of Black Oak Arkansas.  Indeed, Novaselic wrote in his book that they were trying to merge Black Flag with Black Sabbath, that this was some kind of transgressive act.  Shoot, I remember punk bands covering Black Sabbath in 1984 - and it already sucked, and that never changed.  From Black Flag to Black Sabbath - creatively covering all the bases from A to B, from Henry Rollins waving his tiny, shrivelled little dick in front of people, to Ozzy Osbourne biting (and getting bitten by) a bat on stage.  Fuck them all.



On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Jeff Curtis <jacurtis@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Telstar wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/55twhs
>
> I'm one of those rare folks who like Trout Mask Replica.

me too.


> In regards to the first selection, I agree.

yup. It's [Sgt Pepper] certainly not the best Beatles album by a
longshot, but it was pretty groundbreaking at the time. So many of
their other albums though - Revolver, the 'white album', Hard Day's
Night just to name a few - are so much better all around, but Sgt
Pepper always gets the big ups.

I also definitely agree with their number two choice, Daydream Nation,
as I recently mentioned here already.

Kinda funny to see the Dennis Wilscon Pacific Ocean Blue album there
after all its recent mention here. I've never been much of a Beach
Boys fan at all though, so I really have no comment on this either
way.

JC

__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE
Blockbuster is giving away a free trial of Blockbuster Total Access to smart movie lovers like you.
Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Yahoo! Groups

Cat Zone

Connect w/ others

who love cats.

Learn to live

a full life with these

healthy living

groups on Yahoo!

.

__,_._,___

No comments: